Download Better Histogram Add-in
For Mac Excel 2011-2016-2019-365 and
Windows Excel 2010-2013-2016-2019-365
A histogram in Excel is usually a Column chart type. The labels of a Column chart are aligned under the center of each vertical bar, and there is no Excel feature for changing that alignment. For continuous-valued data, a better histogram has a horizontal axis with numerical labels aligned under the tick marks between the bars as shown below.
To download the ZIP file containing the XLAM add-in for automatically creating a Better Histogram from data on an Excel worksheet, click Better-Histogram-Addin-20190718.zip
After you download the ZIP file, extract the files. In Windows File Explorer, right-click the ZIP file and choose Extract All. In Mac, double-click the ZIP file.
Before you use the Better Histogram add-in, use Excel’s MIN and MAX worksheet functions to determine the minimum and maximum values of your data values so that you can decide on “nice” intervals for your histogram.
With the XLAM file open or installed, to use the Better Histogram add-in, first select the Excel worksheet containing your data. To show the Better Histogram dialog box:
- In Windows Excel 2010 & 2013 & 2016 & 2019 & 365, choose Add-Ins ribbon > (Menu Commands section) Better Histogram, or press the shortcut key Control+Shift+B.
- In Mac Excel 2011, choose Tools | Better Histogram, or press the shortcut key Option+Command+B.
- In Mac Excel 2016 & 2019 & 365, press the shortcut key Option+Command+B.
Inputs for the Better Histogram dialog box:
- The data range must be a range of cells containing only numbers, i.e., no text.
- The start value must be a number less than or equal to the minimum value of the data range.
- The step value must be greater than zero.
- The stop value must be greater than or equal to the maximum value of the data range.
- The start, step, and stop values must be chosen so that there are at least two intervals.
When you click OK, the frequency distribution and Better Histogram are created on a new worksheet.
The add-in automates the original manual method for creating a Better Histogram, described in detail in a PDF file included in the download ZIP file.